The South African team withdrew itself from the ODI series against Australia which was going to take place in January next year. The reason stated behind this exit, CSA confirms it to be because the new franchise T20 league is clashing with the dates when they were planning the tour against Australia in January.
It is not that Cricket South Africa asked to make the suddenly or so but in fact were in discussion with Cricket Australia for months giving them four options, but none of it was seen working out from the Cricket Australia end. Look at what the Chief Executive Officer of CSA , Pholetsi Moseki, had the say on it,
“CSA is always keen on honoring its bilateral commitments. While CSA is committed to honoring its fixtures in respect of the Future Tours Programme there will sometimes be unforeseen circumstances that would negate this resolve. In the case of the Australia tour, CSA reached out to its counterpart months ago to reschedule the tour to mutually aggregable dates. CSA offered four options to that effect. Unfortunately, and to our disappointment, none of these were acceptable to Cricket Australia.”
Now look at what Cricket Australia said ,
“Cricket South Africa (CSA) had asked Cricket Australia (CA) to reconsider the dates of the three matches originally set aside for January 12-17 due to a clash with their new franchise T20 league, but CA announced today they have been unable to find alternative dates to reschedule the series.”
So you see, how both the boards have been in discussion and carrying out their duties with full responsibility. Where the one is trying to pull the ball at his corner, whereas the second (CA) is not ready to do so.
Now what will be the consequences involved for the South African team not being part of the tour.
- The tour against Australia in January 2023 , was part of the ICC Super League of matches and if played, could have earned the proteas additional points to get directly qualified for the ICC Men’s world cup
- The nonparticipation of the South African team with Australia in January next year would abstain the SA team to gain the points it was required to.
- The nonparticipation of the CSA team, will lead ICC to award the necessary competition points to Australia.
So why was the CSA board had to make a tough choice such as these, it’s because, listen to it directly from to the chief executive of CSA of what he said,
“As difficult as this decision has been for CSA, the long-term sustainability of our new T20 League is reliant on having all our domestic players available for this exciting new addition to the CSA calendar.”
From the above statement, domestic players are reliant on the league is what is crucial to understand. But what does it mean? It means that CSA is in dire need of money and the new league T20 tournament will help fulfill it.
According to a report published on Sports 24, a sports news channel, last year in October, CSA lost R221 million due to COVID. Due to which England, as well as same Australia team, was seen canceling their ODI as well as the 3-match T20I series with the proteas, this is last year.
At the time CEO, Mr. Rayner said,
“We’ve seen a decrease in revenue, but a corresponding decrease in expenditure. However, the Covid-19 impact was significant”
CSA has been in this league of Financial instability for a long and their newly formed franchise T20 league is their only hope to remunerate the loss that had been made.