You all have heard about IPL, PSL, BBL, SLPL, BPL, TNPL, WBBL to name just a few there are a plenty more out there. But the event about which we are going to present before you today are called as CPL (Caribbean Premier League).
Now don’t start scratching your head asking “what the hell this new thing is now?” Don’t worry as always, we’ll tell you. CPL stands for Caribbean Premier League. In 2013, was the first time the league came into existence, a T20I cricket tournament held in the Caribbean. The Indian-based two-wheeler auto manufacturer, the Hero MOTOcorp, is the main sponsor for the Caribbean Premier League (CPL).
Whereas on the other hand, Mittco, was announced the official musical instrument sponsors of the Hero CPL for the cycle 2022- 2024.
The managing director at Mittco, Akua Leith delighted by the involvement said,
“MITTCO is deeply heartened to confirm that the MITTCO steelpan is the official musical instrument of the Hero CPL and that we will be a sponsor for a consecutive period of three years from 2022-2024.”
Now coming back to the point of the starting of the event, CPL will see its commencement from 30th of August, 2022. The league this year will be the newest of its kind with 10 overs an innings and will consist of 6 men’s cricket team and 3 women’s cricket team.
Excited by the 10th edition of the tournament, Chris Gayle was seen giving the highlights about the tournament that is going to take place shortly. He was seen naming he series as “6IXTY”.
So how will this league be different from another league this year and what would be the rules applied during the match according to ESPNcric.info:
- Each team in CPL will comprise of 6 wickets than the traditional 10 wickets
- By hitting two sixes in the in the initial two over power play will the team batting unlocks a floating third power play of the innings
- The team which is bowling will be given five consecutive overs to bowl and during that no switching of ends by batters would be necessary
- Interestingly, the criteria behind finishing the 10 overs would be 45 minutes and not a minute over than that, but if the team fails to accomplish their bowling innings in the stipulated time frame period then the team will see one fielder getting removed from their squad for the last one hour or six balls.
- There will be a ‘Mystery Free hit’ option been given for the audience to vote on the app or website
About the strange but interesting rules by the CPL, CEO Pete Russel was seen stating to the team of ESPNCricinfo,
“You’re going to get some people saying ‘this isn’t cricket’ but my view is that cricket is absolutely the most important element of it”